Monitor DC currents anywhere using you favorite IoT communications module. This DC Current Monitoring controller consists of ADS7828 12-Bit Analog-to-Digital Converter connected to eight ACS712-05 hall-effect current sensors. This controller uses I2C communications and includes a convenient I2C output connector for easy expansion. On-Board address jumpers allow device start address selection for up to four current monitoring controllers on a single I2C port. No software development is required as our GitHub repository has a complete driver for monitoring 8-Channels at 5 Amps.
Physical implementation is easy, simply pass current through each pair of screw terminals and read the voltages on the ADS7828. The ADS7828 will return approximately 2.5V when 0 current is passed through the ACS712. Forward current will cause the ADS7828 to return values between 2.5 and 5VDC as current increases. Negative current will cause the ADS7828 to return values from 2.5 to 0 as current increases. In theory, this design could monitor AC, but our software currently supports DC only at this time.
What is the NCD IoT Interface?
The NCD IoT Interface provides users with a means of changing or upgrading the IoT communications technology as new technologies emerge. The NCD IoT Interface is directly compatible with Particle Photon for WiFi communications, Electron for Cellular Communications, Bluz for Bluetooth. Optionally, adapters may be installed to provide a direct interface to Arduino Nano, Micro, USB, PyCom WyPy, Onion Omega, Raspberry Pi, and much more. The NCD IoT interface allows you to re-use your hardware so it never becomes obsolete! Based on I2C communications, the NCD IoT Interface uses only 2 GPIO lines of your microcontroller, freeing the rest of your CPU for other tasks.
Unlimited I2C Expansion
Based on our plug-and-play I2C interface standard, all NCD IoT devices are equipped with a I2C expansion port, making it easy to expand to a wide variety of sensors, current monitors, relay controllers, PWM controllers, and much more! We are always designing new expansions for our plug-and-play I2C framework. We are dedicated to building a product line of interconnected devices to simplify all forms of automation. Re-use or upgrade your hardware in seconds by selecting the modules that best fit your needs, and chaining them together using the included I2C expansion cables!
IoT Interface Compatibility
NCD IoT Interface devices are designed to plug in to many popular IoT computing platforms. This allows the “brains” from other manufacturers to directly plug into our devices for easy plug-and-play operation. IoT interface devices use I²C as the underlying communications technology. The notes below will guide you into plugging 3rd party IoT technologies into our devices, we will highlight any adapters that may be required in this section. Please note that all IoT Interface Devices act as a I²C Master Device, and may be expanded by connecting to any of our Cross-Platform I²C Slave Devices using the I²C Output.
NCD IoT Interface Direct Connection
The following devices directly plug into NCD IoT Interface controllers without a adapter.
If using a Particle Photon or Particle Electron communications module, the PKFR Key Fob Receiver overlay shield may be used to add long-range wireless Key Fob remote control to the communications module.
NCD IoT Interface Adapters
Use the following adapters will adapt the IoT Interface for I2C communications with other popular computing platforms:
Convert IoT to I2C Interface Devices
- This device may be converted to an I²C slave device using the I2C to IoT Interface Adapter, ideal for use with Raspberry Pi, Beaglebone, Arduino Uno, and BridgeX5.
Banana Pi Interface
Raspberry Pi Interface
Windows 8/10 PC Interface
Key Fob Compatibility
NCD IoT Interface devices are also compatible with a 418MHz Key Fob receiver (Part Number: PKFR), allowing your Particle Electron, Photon, or Bluz to receive and process remote Key Fob commands up to 750 feet away. Up to 40 remote controls may be associated to the PKFR. Program your IoT communications module to receive wireless remote control commands using a Key Fob. Compatible with 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 8-Button MS Series Key Fobs from Linx Technologies.
This product qualifies for:
- Forum Support (fastest)
- Direct Email Support
Standard Lead Times
Standard lead times are 3-5 business days as we manufacture and test the product at the time of order. Larger orders may require additional time.
Country of Origin: US
HTS Code: 854231
We Customize Just for You!!
NCD offers many custom IoT electronic design services to help tailor our product to your exact needs. Whether you are looking for custom firmware, circuit board modifications, metal enclosures, or industrial color printing, we can help you with a wide variety of design services.
Custom IoT Electronic Design Services Process
Most of our users purchase off-the-shelf hardware for initial testing. Once everything is working, they contact us to build a custom solution which may include specialized changes to the board, firmware, connectors, etc. Custom boards have many advantages such as reduced wiring, easy installation, small size, less power consumption, and in some cases, an overall reduction in product cost. Custom IoT Electronic Design Services will have your company name and logo on the board as well as the enclosure.
Customized IoT Electronics
NCD engineers can help build a customized solution for your particular application based on the designs you see on our website. We can combine devices onto a single board, change the shape, or even some of the components to meet your exact needs. We also provide turn-key metal enclosures with powder coating and full-color printing on the top side starting at just $500 for setup! We have more than 20 years of experience in electronics design and manufacturing. All of our products are designed and manufactured in the USA, so we are here to support the products we make. We only ask that our customers prototype their needs using our existing products before we customize.
- Custom designs should be based on our existing product because we can’t build rockets or electric cars over here!
- We do not provide customization services if it involves the introduction of a new or untested technology.
- Custom engineering fees depend on your requirements, so please contact us for a quote!
- We maintain ownership of all designs, including our customized designs as they are based on our existing Design.
- We will only ship the customized product to you or your authorized agents.
- We have an NDA available if needed.
- The turn-around time is about 2-3 weeks.
- We specialize in low-volume designs, no quantity is too small!
- We have the ability to scale to large volumes as needed.
Getting Started with Product Customization
All you have to do is contact us and we will walk you through the process from beginning to end, based on your individual needs. Some people are surprised at how fast we finish CAD design (usually a few hours), but keep in mind, we still have to build your design, which takes considerably more time. When we customize product, here are the general services we provide:
- We design the circuit board.
- We communicate with our customers throughout the customization and manufacturing process.
- We manufacture surface mount stencils and circuit boards.
- We program our pick and place machines to build your boards.
- We build a working sample and run it through our wave solder machine.
- We test your custom IoT solution.
- Once the design is finalized it won’t be possible to make changes during production (changes cost money and require us to repeat the above processes)
- Once it meets all your requirements, we will start production as needed.
- We work with our metal fabricators to design a metal enclosure if required.
- You work with our artist to print the top side of the enclosure in full color with your company logo if required.