Solid State: A Practical Alternative to Mechanical Relays!
Mechanical Relays have a good home in low-cost control applications. But for some users, only solid state switching will do. Solid State Relays are ideal for users who require long term reliability, silent operation, or high induction tolerance. Many inductive control applications require a solid state relay. Inductive loads such as Motors, Valves, Pumps, Solenoids, and Large Transformers (including Fluorescent Lighting) benefit from the use of solid state relays because they reduce the chances of the inductive load interfering with the logic of the relay controller.
About Serial Communications
To control the this Relay Controller, simply connect a data and ground wire between the Relay Controller and computer or microcontroller. Provide +12 Volts DC to the board, and send ASCII character codes to control the relays. Even a no-frills design deserves a high-quality driver stage, and that’s exactly what we put on our Serial Relay Controllers. Fast-reacting flyback diodes help shunt dangerous voltages away from the driver circuit.
Features include no-click startup, LED status lights, and E3C compliance. Relays can be controlled at 9600 baud and the board is compatible with ANY computer or microcontroller capable of delivering RS-232 data.
Solid State Relays
Solid state relays are ideal for agricultural switching applications, or remotely located switching. SSRs are frequently chosen to control pumps, valves, solenoids, lights, and other high-reliability applications. NCD solid-state relay controllers do not include solid-state relays, but you will have the option to choose the type of solid state relays you require when customizing your product. This controller is designed specifically to fit select Crydom solid-state relays, but may be compatible other solid-state relays made by other companies.
Choosing a Solid State Relay
Please examine the datasheet of each solid state relay carefully, as SSRs do not function exactly like mechanical switches. SSRs frequently have minimum load requirements, and some require external snubber circuitry for certain applications. SSRs do not typically work with volt meters in the same way as mechanical switches. SSRs must also be chosen for AC or DC applications, as they are not universally interchangeable. Some SSRs require forced air cooling, and may be damaged if not properly ventilated. Please consult the experts at Crydom.com if you are uncertain about your choice of SSR.
We Customize Just for You!!
NCD offers many custom IoT electronic design services to help tailor our product to your exact needs. Whether you are looking for custom firmware, circuit board modifications, metal enclosures, or industrial color printing, we can help you with a wide variety of design services.
Custom IoT Electronic Design Services Process
Most of our users purchase off-the-shelf hardware for initial testing. Once everything is working, they contact us to build a custom solution which may include specialized changes to the board, firmware, connectors, etc. Custom boards have many advantages such as reduced wiring, easy installation, small size, less power consumption, and in some cases, an overall reduction in product cost. Custom IoT Electronic Design Services will have your company name and logo on the board as well as the enclosure.
Customized IoT Electronics
NCD engineers can help build a customized solution for your particular application based on the designs you see on our website. We can combine devices onto a single board, change the shape, or even some of the components to meet your exact needs. We also provide turn-key metal enclosures with powder coating and full-color printing on the top side starting at just $500 for setup! We have more than 20 years of experience in electronics design and manufacturing. All of our products are designed and manufactured in the USA, so we are here to support the products we make. We only ask that our customers prototype their needs using our existing products before we customize.
- Custom designs should be based on our existing product because we can’t build rockets or electric cars over here!
- We do not provide customization services if it involves the introduction of a new or untested technology.
- Custom engineering fees depend on your requirements, so please contact us for a quote!
- We maintain ownership of all designs, including our customized designs as they are based on our existing Design.
- We will only ship the customized product to you or your authorized agents.
- We have an NDA available if needed.
- The turn-around time is about 2-3 weeks.
- We specialize in low-volume designs, no quantity is too small!
- We have the ability to scale to large volumes as needed.
Getting Started with Product Customization
All you have to do is contact us and we will walk you through the process from beginning to end, based on your individual needs. Some people are surprised at how fast we finish CAD design (usually a few hours), but keep in mind, we still have to build your design, which takes considerably more time. When we customize product, here are the general services we provide:
- We design the circuit board.
- We communicate with our customers throughout the customization and manufacturing process.
- We manufacture surface mount stencils and circuit boards.
- We program our pick and place machines to build your boards.
- We build a working sample and run it through our wave solder machine.
- We test your custom IoT solution.
- Once the design is finalized it won’t be possible to make changes during production (changes cost money and require us to repeat the above processes)
- Once it meets all your requirements, we will start production as needed.
- We work with our metal fabricators to design a metal enclosure if required.
- You work with our artist to print the top side of the enclosure in full color with your company logo if required.